Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Staring Problem

One of the newest, as well as one of my favorite Carbondale bands is Staring Problem. They are playing at Skihouse tonight w/ Screaming Females, Vacation, etc.. but I wanted to pick their brains a little before the show, so I sent Tresadilla on the hunt.

T: How much do you weigh?
Alix Carl (drums): Collectively?
David van der Graaff (bass): Let’s do real math. Let’s do 373.
T: What’s so fascinating about weight loss?
A: It’s, like, you know, part of you disappearing. It’s the closest we can get, in this universe, to destroying matter.
T: As a pre-teen, did you hope to get your hand held during James Cameron’s Titanic?
Lauren Owen (guitar): Hell Yes.
D: My parents wouldn’t let me see Titanic. It’s PG-13.
A: I saw it with both of my parents…
D: And they both held your hand?
A: I saw that movie recently and remembered how Leo used to be handsome and a good actor. I fuckin’ hate Kate Winslet.
L: She’s got curves.
T: She used to.
A: Yeah, but she’s got that face. She’ll always have that face…
T: Do you have hoarding tendencies? If so, what?
A: Yes… in practice, clothing… and in fantasy, cats.
D: For me, clothing’s it, but I don’t know if I want to admit that.
L: I hate hoarders.
A: We can’t help it.
L: That’s fine. I just don’t want to live with you.
T: Define DMX.
A: Ok, so, originally, it stood for Dark Man X and then, he decided he wanted to be Dog Man X; he wanted to get away from the negativity of Dark Man. And he loves dogs; he’s a dog hoarder. I think he went to jail for mistreating the dogs. It’s a cycle of abuse. Sometimes we mistreat the things we love the most. He just has a complicated, deep relationship with dogs.
L: I think it stands for Fat Ass Bass. Tear your butt up. This garage band from Chicago, Vee Dee, was recording in DMX’s studio, after hours, without permission, when you hear it, it’s like PFF PFFD PFF. It sounds awesome.

A: (to our loud-mouthed cat): Ollie better shut his mouth before I stick a dick in it.


T: What would you do for a private pizza party with the cast of Saved by the Bell: The College Years?
A: Well, I would sing karaoke to Possum Kingdom by The Toadies, but I would also do that for a beer.
L: I guess I would get really drunk and try to imagine I liked that series and be able to hob-knob.
D: I’m horrible when it comes to point-blank questions about pop culture I’m not even acquainted with. God, I don’t know. What would I do? God damn it.

Shortly after this interview, David quit the band.

Interview by Tresadilla
“Next time you’re havin’ sex, just pretend you’re DMX”
-Rob Hubbell

SEE THEM TONIGHT!

No comments:

Post a Comment